Patient and Family Engagement
Engaging Patients in Improving the Healthcare Experience
Patient and Family Advisors are volunteers at Duke University Health System who provide the patient and family (consumer) perspective on patient care initiatives, projects, programs, and facilities that impact the patient and family experience at Duke University Health System.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- attending regular patient/family advisory council meetings
- participating in topic-specific focus consumer groups
- reviewing patient and family educational and marketing materials
- providing feedback on building design and improvements
- advising on new way-finding technology
- participating on committees to provide the consumer voice
- performing similar activities as needed/directed
Patient/Family Advisors’ input has led to improved co-designed processes and procedures, strong engagement of patients and families, and overall, a better patient and family health care experience. Opportunities are available at Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, as well as Duke Primary Clinics and Specialty Services.
Patient and Family Engagement (PFE) in the early stages of project design leads to long-term benefits including:
- Better health outcomes for patients
- Reduced errors and adverse events
- Increased patient loyalty
Learn about some of our many accomplishments
Duke Health shows its appreciation for patient and family volunteers
Highlights from Inside Duke Health
Patient & Family Advisor, Suzanne Mayers, shares her excitement for Duke’s new Behavioral Health Center: “Duke’s new mental health center in Durham aims to be ‘more conducive to feeling happy’” and is featured in this video.
Contact: Shannon Haney, email@example.com